Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Off the Topic of Astrology - lunar and otherwyze

So, why do so many people (on the Internet) decide to blatantly steal other people's material? For example, I work hard to write my javascripts. I offer up some of them as free for people to use and wish them well. Others, I specifically want to keep on my websites.

If people ask me up front if they can use a script, I usually will let them use it if they will tell visitors that the script came from my site. But to flat out hotlink right into my website without asking for permission? Yump'n Yimmeny - that is frustrating!

And even more frustrating is when I write the website owners to ask that they stop. Many of the offenders will get all P!ssy. There are some people who will apologize and ask for permission, but more often than not, the thieves get upset and defensive as if I am the one being unrealistic for asking that my materials be removed from their site. Fur Chryst Sakes - if you don't want to get caught, don't be so blatant about it. Steal the whole script, plug it into your site using your own bandwidth, et. al.

Or better yet, Learn to write your own Javascript - Put some of your own Blood, Sweat and Tears into writing your own script to discover your own sense of satisfaction and reward for creating something. On the other hand, if you want to save time, use the script but give proper credit where it is due. Don't be afraid to fess up and say "I found this script at xyz.com."

But to Blatantly go onto someone else's site to hot wire (hotlink) the script into your own site without proper credit or permission is like plugging an extension cord into your neighbor's electrical outlet and running the cord back to your house so that you don't have to pay for the electricity that you use.

Com'n folks - give a work'n gal some peace here and stop jack'n around with my stuff! Get a bit more creative with your thievery!